Katahdin

Getting Ready for Columbia Business School, Running, et cetera

Thursday, July 20, 2006

529s

The wsj has printed articles about 529s, and some folks mentioned them on the Columbia admits yahoo board. I think that these plans are great for MBA students, and I'm using the DC plan, at least for a few weeks.

The principal benefit of these plans is that--up to a point--my contributions to the plan reduce my State taxable income. In DC, the first $3,000 that I contribute reduces my District taxable income. Since I'm in the 7% marginal income tax bracket for 2006, this is $210 that I don't have to pay.

This is useful for students, because I can withdraw the money in my 529 account to pay for tuition, room, and board while I'm at Columbia. I will liquidate my DC 529 account when I get the bill from Columbia at the end of August, and put the proceeds towards tuition. I will also get a loan check that will replace the $3,000 that came from my pocket.

In effect, $3,000 is out of my hands for a few weeks, and then I get it back. But because of the 529, I lower my DC taxable income.

One key is that I have to live in the District when I make 529 contributions. If this rule didn't exist, then I could take my loan check, deposit the money in the 529, and immediately withdraw it to pay for school. Columbia students who have worked in New York State this year will be able to do exactly this.

3 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Marina said...

Worthless in CA as far as I found out through my research =/

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My research company is running a focus group of about 15 MBA students from N.Y.C. in mid-September to evaluate a new job site for MBA students and recent grads. There is a $50 incentive for participation. The whole thing shouldn't last any longer than an hour. If you or any of your friends in the MBA program at Columbia are interested please email me at jweil@youth-trends.com. Thanks--Josh

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey there, I found your blog very informative and helpful. I've read almost all your blog posts and would really love to read more of it. I request you to please start your blog once again. I suggest you also syndicate your blog on popular sites like ManagementParadise.com where you will find millions of like minded people as a ready audience. Keep Blogging. Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home